For many years those with an associate degree or higher have been able to work as independent contractors teaching children English to children residing in China and other foreign countries.    Being an English language teacher was a great employment opportunity for stay at home parents and those that were looking to earn extra money.  However, that may change for some because of the new teaching requirements being implemented by the Chinese government.

As of January 2020, those teaching children online will have to have a bachelor’s degree with a valid professional teaching certification; or a bachelor’s degree in any area and TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, or  ESL certification.      You can check with the company you are currently working with or interesting in working with to see what qualifications they require.

For those that need a TEFTL or TESOL certification, there are many different online and offline sources for certification.    In fact, Groupon has some online courses listed that you can purchase at a discounted price.  But be sure the program fulfills your company’s requirements.    One of the requirements for the TEFL or TESOL is that it is at least a 120-hour program and that is accredited.   So, those are some factors to take into consideration when selecting a program.

You may also want to go the extra mile and become a professionally certified teacher.  Many states offer post-bachelor’s degree programs that lead to becoming a certified teacher.   These programs will take several months to complete and cost several hundred or thousands of dollars.

If you are unable to meet the requirement of teaching English to children living in China, there are other companies that offer English language services to adults and children living in other countries.